Using supplements when it comes to bulking up and adding lean muscles has now become very essential. Albeit, it’s not just using supplements that matter, but in using the right supplement that will meet your need and help you achieve your goals faster and to be able to keep your achieved goals forever.
Whey protein has been shown to help athletes, bodybuilders and gym enthusiasts in the achievement of their goals.
Again just picking up any whey protein powder from the shelf in the grocery store might not be the wisest thing to do. Picking the whey protein that will give you the highest quality of protein every time is better.
Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey Protein Powder has been around for a while now. Let’s take a critical look at what it offers.
Product Name: Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey Protein Powder, Double Rich Chocolate, 5 Pound
Product Manufacturer: Optimum Nutrition (ON)
Where to buy: Amazon.com
Overall Rating: 4.4/5
100% Whey Gold Standard is arguably one of the most popular protein powder supplement around. It has enjoyed numerous reviews over the years and is still enjoying reviews from many users as it easily is the fans favorite.
Manufactured by a brand that is one of the best when it comes to sports nutrition, Optimum Nutrition. They pride themselves on having supported sportsmen and women, athletes and bodybuilders since 1986.
Their process of strict ingredients selection, quality control, lab testing and manufacturing processes are all done for one reason: to provide their customers with the highest quality sports nutrition products available.
Whey Protein Isolates (WPI) is 90% pure protein by weight and are one of the purest and most expensive forms of whey protein on the market today.
By using Whey Protein Isolates as the primary protein source, Optimum Nutrition is able to pack 24 grams of the purest, muscle-building protein per serving, with a lot less of the fat, cholesterol, lactose, and other stuff that you can do without.
• Gold Standard 100% Whey delivers 24g of pure whey protein.
• It has 5.5 grams of naturally occurring BCAA (Branched Chain Amino Acids), and 4 grams of naturally occurring glutamine per serving.
• Gluten Free.
• Double rich chocolate flavor.
• 5 pound sized bottle.
- Contains Milk and Soy (Lecithin) Ingredients, those allergic to these ingredients might have to stay away from Optimum Nutrition 100 Whey Gold Standard.
There are a lot of things 100% whey gold has going for itself that I like about this product, this I will outline as follows
• The quality of protein that it offers is one that is quality. The quality of the protein offered by a product goes a long way to determine the kind of result that you will get from that product. 100% whey offers a complete spectrum of all the 20 amino acids for a complete protein which also include all the essential amino acids (EAA) that your body needs.
• The taste for this double rich chocolate flavor is nice. Coupled with the fact that there are just all sorts of great tasting recipe ideas that one can try. The double rich chocolate tastes especially nice when milk is added. You don’t expect to get all ice-creamy taste, but for whey protein product the taste is not bad at all. You can even add ice cubes for effect if you like and it’s not chalky too.
• The mix-ability is also great compared to other whey protein brands. You can easily blend it but if you decide not to blend it, all fine and good. It still mixes well in a shaker bottle or in a cup with a spoon. Does not clump up in you mixing container which is good as you get to take out what you put in the cup, not less. It’s also easily digested.
• This whey protein has a high value for money spent. The protein content per scoop it’s higher than most of its counterparts. The ingredients it contains pound for pound pales off most of the other competition, with whey protein isolate high on the list. It then completes the awesomeness by accompanying the whey protein with low fat, low sugar, and high protein per scoop. Also, it has low lactose content.
• The result one gets from workout routines is fantastic. People have reported being able to gain a considerable amount of lean muscle while doing heavy lifting over a period and also following a diet supplemented 100% Gold Whey. Also, they found there was no change in body fat during this period just an increase in lean muscles. It also took care of the wear and tear of the muscles associated with overtraining.
• The filler content is very negligible. For any protein powder, there must be the presence of some filler. Good and quality whey protein products are filtered and manufactured to reduce the filler content of the product. Non-protein ingredients like cocoa, fats, or carbs are known as fillers. In Optimum Nutrition protein powder, the only fillers you will find are cocoa, lecithin, artificial flavor, and acesulfame potassium. Also, the small amounts of fat and carbs that are naturally present in the whey act as fillers.
It is debateable that there is nothing that has a good side that does have a bad side. For Optimum Nutrition 100% whey, the only thing I can seem to lay hold of is the fact that it contains lactose. It, therefore, means that people who are lactose intolerant or who are allergic to lactose will not be able to benefit from this wonderful superfood. This in a way is not just cool.
How Much Is Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey?
Option Nutrition Gold Standard 100%Whey is sold for $57.94 for a 5lb bottle of Double rich chocolate flavor. For me, this is a fair deal considering the level and the standard of nutrients that one gets from this per pound.
There are quite a lot of whey protein powders out there who gives less nutrient per pound and still cost more.
Is Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey Effective?
This is a case of quality vs. quantity for which optimum nutrition passes beyond the mark for both criteria. In terms of quality, it gives high protein, less fat and less sugar compared to many whey formula in its class. And in terms of quantity, it also gives more nutrients per scoop than many other product in its class. Personally, I feel any product that can deliver in terms of quality and quantity compared to its counterparts is the king because then you can guarantee users more result which Optimum Nutrition whey protein has been able to do.
It gives a good yield and has critical measures like the BCAA to EAA ratios good.
It also mixes well and has a fantastic taste. What’s there again to ask? What are the odds that over twelve thousand 5 stars can all be wrong? The stats speak for itself.
I will personally give 100% Whey Gold a 4.5/5 rating.
Where Can I Buy Gold Standard 100% Whey?
You can get it on the manufacturer’s website or you can buy it on Amazon.com to take advantage of their customer satisfaction policy.
Are There Other Alternatives?
There are a thousand and one alternatives to Whey protein powders out there and it all boils down to individual choices and preferences, coupled with the budget but on a personal basis, Gold standard stands out tall among its class. This is because Optimum Nutrition 100 Whey has been able to sustain its topnotch quality over the years and have become the fans favorite. I love this product to a fault.delivers on its promise of high-quality nutrients and at a reasonable pric
How Much Whey Do I Need?
As our faces are different, so also is our daily needs especially for whey protein.
Your need for whey is largely dependent on your protein daily requirements and this also is dependent largely on three parameters; age sex and level of your physical activities.
A budding teenager’s need for protein is very different from the needs of an elderly person. Like the needs of an active body, the builder is very different from a Nine-to-five office worker.
Generally an average, moderately active adult needs about 0.4 to 0.6 grams of protein per pound of the body his or her body weight, which equates to a range of 60 to 90 grams daily for a 150-pound person.
But a very active adult who engages in intensive strength training or trying to build muscles might need about 0.9 grams of protein per pound of body weight.
Benefits Of Whey Protein.
There are a lot of benefits that whey protein can offer and even if one compares it to other forms of Proteins, can offer those benefits at a higher level than some of these other forms.
In Muscles Building.
The obvious and the number one benefit of taking whey protein are in its ability to help build muscle.
The amino acid in whey protein is made up of about 12% of leucine and it is the stimulating element of muscle growth in the body. Lucine is the driver of muscle growth in whey protein.
For gym enthusiasts and athletes involved in Cardiovascular exercises, strength training and other forms of quick high-intensity exercises, Lucine levels are significantly reduced as a result of these exercises and will need to be replaced.
Whey protein before, during and after intensive exercise prevents degradation of muscle proteins by supplying the body with leucine.
The amino acids in whey protein also increase lean muscle growth after exercise.
The health of the Digestive system is improved by consuming whey protein.
There are good bacteria in the gut and whey protein acts as a prebiotic to help the good bacteria to improve intestinal disorders.
Lactoferrin is also a protein found in whey, which plays an important role in the digestive system taking up iron for the body’s use. Iron is used to carry oxygen in the body and in preventing anemia.
For Increasing Antioxidant Defence.
The amino acid called Cysteine is bountiful in whey protein and as a precursor glutathione which is a very potent antioxidant produced and needed by the body.
Glutathione is also used in the body to repair cellular damage and preventing diseases such as cancer.
Products made from dietary milk may be an inhibitor to the development of a lot of tumors.
From studies available, it has been shown that glutathione deficiency may relate very closely to many types of cancers.
Cancerous cells with high levels of glutathione tend to resist cancer therapy, which tries to induce cancer cell death. But Whey protein tends to increases the rate synthesis of glutathione in normal cells while reducing glutathione levels in cancerous cells.
This might become the next big thing in the treatment of cancer and therapy-resistant cancerous cells.
For Type 2 Diabetes.
With patients suffering from type 2 diabetes, it has been found that if whey protein is taken with a meal, there is usually an increase in the insulin response and a reduction in the blood glucose levels. Hence you don’t need to worry about your blood sugar levels. It can be controlled by taking whey protein before a high carb meal which then reduces the glucose levels after the meal. Whey in this way helps as a preventive measure also.
Whey still has a lot of outstanding uses like for reducing blood pressure, fat loss, reducing hunger in weight loss diets and may also be used to treat inflammation.
My Final Take.
For me, Optimum Nutrition offers a yield that is not just decent but very high. It also offers great-tasting recipes that make you want more. That’s not all, it gives a great mix and it is very digestible. It has a good BCAA (Branched Chain Amino Acid) to EAA (Essential Amino Acids) ratio plus, its price is very reasonable. Can any other brand beat this?
If you are, therefore, looking to shape up and size up faster without having to close your bank account then, you should totally go for Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Gold Standard.