If You are in the market for women probiotics and are looking for the best probiotics supplements for women, then this article is obviously written for.
It can be quit challenging flipping through dozens of supplement catalogues just to find something decent, suitable and of course, affordable with lots of cheap and sub-quality products littered all over the net. This review is aimed at helping you make an easy buying decision.
A Little About Probiotics.
In the past few years, probiotics have gained quite a lot of awareness partly because of series of modern researches and scientific breakthrough, and the other been that people generally are leaning towards taking charge of their health.
Whatever it is that lead you to take probiotics, I am saying congratulation to you on the journey you have just embarked on as you are going to enjoy lots and lots of amazing benefits from probiotics, and your health would thank you for that.
Just some few years back, not many people know about probiotics and its many important health benefits to the human body but like I said earlier, thanks to the advancement in scientific research, everyone now knows that the human body needs probiotics to maintain a healthy gut and to boost the immune system.
Just to refresh your memory, probiotics are live microorganisms that live in the small and big intestine, much similar to the natural microorganism in the body, and they help in regulating almost every metabolic function in the body. They also help in maintaining a healthy digestive system and absorption of-of nutrients. Overall, probiotics help to improve the general well being of the body.
Do Women Need More Probiotics Than Men?
There has been lots of debate regarding whether or not women need specific probiotics more than men and to be honest the debate is still ongoing with different experts asserting their voices from a different perspective, based on their knowledge of the female internal body system.
The most notable of the voices are of those that believed that women tend to have more digestive challenges and other health problems than men, problems such as constipation, gas, diarrhea, and yeast vaginal infections and so they need more probiotics than men.
Although men are not exempted from some of the mentioned health issues, some experts believe that the number of women suffering from these challenges is by far more than men.
Whether they are right or wrong, one thing is certain, women, as much as men, need probiotics to maintain health and to stay healthy.
Probiotics help both men and women in a number of ways such as.
- Probiotics help in restoring the number of beneficial bacteria in the body system(gut).
- Probiotics also help in treating diarrhea especially Lactobacillus strain.
- Women with vaginal infection and other types of infections caused by bacteria would benefit massively from adding more probiotics to their systems. This could be one of the reasons why many experts believe women should take more probiotics than men.
- Probiotics, in both men and women, helps in decreasing the risk of Irritable Bowel Movement as well as SIBO(Small Intestine Bacteria Overgrowth).
- Children are not left out as probiotics have been known to alleviate childhood allergies.
- Probiotics help improve immunity.
Sources Of Probiotics.
Lucky for us, probiotics can be readily gotten just by eating a certain food. Food as simple as a cup of yogurt can provide enough probiotics for the day. Yogurt made from goat’s milk is known to contain more probiotics than that gotten from cow
Apart from yogurt, other probiotics source are:
- Kefir – This like yogurt, is gotten from goat, cow, sheep, coconut and soy milk and is rich in probiotics.
- Dark Chocolate.
- Kombucha tea.
These are just a few of the many food sources of probiotics.
While it is important to take these foods rich in probiotics, people should also make a deliberate effort to reduce to a great level, the consumption of foods likely to degrade the number of probiotics, foods that have a high content of sugar and fat.
Food Sources Of Probiotics Or Probiotic Supplements?
While it is a fact that taking yogurt and other natural food sources can increase the number of probiotics in the gut, however, to get the required amount of probiotics especially from someone that has lost lots of it, they may need to consume lots of these foods sources daily.
Sometimes, consuming probiotic-rich diet is just not enough to add the required numbers of beneficial bacteria in our body system. Besides, not many people would want to eat a particular meal again and again just to have probiotics in the body. Probiotics supplements seem to be a better option in this regard.
Now, having decided to take probiotics supplements, as a woman, you want to take what is best suited for women and you are wondering what could be the best probiotics supplements for women.
Here are just a few tricks to watch out when going for women probiotics.
- Culture Count – This should be one of the first things to check in probiotics before even looking at the price. Many experts agree that for a probiotic to be of any effect the culture count must not be anything less than 10billion CFU and above. Luckily we have probiotics supplements that have as much 90billion CFUs so that shouldn’t be a difficult thing.
- Coating Capsule/Tablets – The stomach is highly acidic and can easily kill up probiotics so it’s important you check up those with an acidic-resistance coating in order to preserve the probiotics until they get to where they are required. Luckily there are good products with coating and they are readily available on the market shelves.
- Prebiotics – Prebiotics feed probiotics, they are mostly the non-digestible food ingredients, like fibers, and they help probiotics to grow. While buying probiotics for women, look for the brands that contain prebiotics, this way the bacteria in your gut would have something to feed on and grow.
- shelf life – Another important aspect that gets neglected most times by consumers is the shelf life of a product. When shopping for women probiotics, and indeed all supplements, always check the shelf life of the product, that way you won’t end up getting stocked with a soon to be an expired product. Most probiotics supplements have a shelf lifespan of between 2-3 years. I ways go for products that have at least 10 months before expiring.
- Storage – Although this might not be as much of an issue to lots of other people and rightly so, especially with other products but not with probiotics. Some probiotics supplements required to be refrigerated and it’s important to check and know so you can store yours appropriately.
- Label – Check for proper labeling and make sure every necessary detail is listed on the label including instruction on how to use the product. Most good product formulator will state where the product is formulated from, all the major ingredients, whether there are GMOs, artificial additives, and if there is any concern or caution. This information is extremely important as it helps let potential buyers know what they paying for.
In the light of these, we here have gone on an extensive research and listed here ten awesome probiotics supplements for women.
Top 8 Probiotics Supplements For Women.
Here are the top 8 probiotics supplements for women as compiled by our team. This information is as a result of massive research and customer research gathered by our team.
Renew Life – Ultimate Flora Probiotic Women’s Care – 90 billion.
Renew life women’s complete Ultimate Flora probiotics contains 90 billion CFU(Colony Forming Units) and is one of the most potent women probiotics supplements on the market today.
It is a product of Renew life, and if you must know this North American company, established in 1997, has been formulating great products that cater for the gut health of the people through providing natural safe and effective digestive products.
Now, this amazing product has been formulated with special consideration for women’s health especial vaginal yeast infection with 12 different probiotic strains including Lactobacillus formula known to be effective in tackling yeast infections and improving the general health of the vagina.
So, when thinking women probiotics, think Renew Life women’s complete Ultimate Probiotics.
- Contains 90 billion CFUs from 12 strains of bacteria.
- Formulated from all pure and organic and high-quality ingredients, this has been the custom of the company.
- Zero artificial ingredients, colors, preservations or unnecessary additives.
- Non-GMO and Vegan-Friendly.
- Gluten free, dairy free and vegan- friendly.
- Excellent for vagina health and yeast infections.
- Might be too pricey for some folks.
- Few people reportedly reacted to it.
2. Garden of Life – RAW Probiotics Women 50 & Wiser.
This is probably one of the most potent, richly formulated women probiotics on the market. It comes packed with probiotic vitamins, minerals, and prebiotics which is excellent in promoting the survival of bacteria in the gut.
Garden of Life Raw probiotics supplements for women contains 85billion CFUs in 33 strains of bacteria. This could be the best product especially for those who have been plagued with low probiotics in their gut and need lots of it to replenish it.
Garden of life Raw probiotics for women is stored in a controlled temperature environment from the production point to the delivery point. This is to ensure that all the bacteria get to the delivery point alive. what this means is that you are required to properly refrigerate it to keep the bacteria alive.
- Contains 90 vegan capsules.
- Contains 85 billions CFUs in 33 strains.
- Probiotic vitamins and minerals make it a wholesome blend.
- Formulated especially to promote bowel and digestive health as well as female genital care.
- Vegan-friendly, with no artificial binders or additives.
- Supports thyroid health.
- Formulated for every woman especially for those in their fifties.
- Contains dairy and might not be so good for those with allergy concern.
3.Jarro-Dophilus Women, 10 Billion Cells Per Capsule, 30 Capsules (Cool Ship).
If you are looking for a probiotic supplement as a woman that will help improve your vaginal flora and promote urinary tract health, think no further from Jarro-Dolphilus woman probiotics.
This amazing product is formulated with 10billion CFUs from 4 strains of bacteria including Lactobacillus crispatus, LbV 88, Lactobacillus jensenii, LbV 116, Lactobacillus gasseri, LbV150N, Lactobacillus rhamnosus, LbV96, and is specially designed to help improve the overall vaginal health as well as the digestive health of women.
In addition, this product is fortified with vegetable sourced magnesium stearate to give your body added benefits. more, this product, according to the manufacturers, Jarro has been clinically proven to very effective.
- Jarro- Dolphilus women probiotics is formulated from vegan-friendly ingredients.
- Formulated with 10 billion CFU from 4 clinically studied and documented strains of bacteria.
- Designed specially to help improve women vagina flora and urinary tract health.
- Contains 30 veggie capsules.
- A bit pricey compared to similar brands and considering it has only 30 capsules.
- 10 billion CFU is a bit low in my opinion.
- Required refrigeration which could be a bit of a work for some people.
4.HyperBiotics Pro-Women With Cranberry Extract & 100% Naturally-Occurring D-Mannose.
From the many positive feedback, you could tell users are satisfied with the potency and general safety of this product.
However, my only issue with this very brand is the low culture contained in it, contains only 5 billion CFU in 6 targeted strains of bacteria.
That notwithstanding, Hyperbiotics pro-women has lots of positives. It gets you 15x more result than your normal probiotic capsule out there on the market.
There is also the presence of naturally generated prebiotics to give help feed the probiotics. This will also increase the potency and effectiveness of the bacteria.
- Formulated in the USA in an FDA and GMP state of the art facility approved facility.
- Refrigeration not required. This is a big plus as many people would prefer a probiotic that does not require you put in the extra effort of refrigerating it.
- Price is relatively fair compared to other popular brands.
- No Fillers, preservative and other unnecessary additives.
- This brand is designed specifically for women’s health.
- Contains only 5 billion CFU and some people might rather go for those with higher culture content.
5.Nature’s Way Primadophilus Fortify Women’s Probiotic.
- Probiotic specifically formulated for women’s health.
- Made from Non-GMO ingredients.
- Price is a little lower than many similar brands.
- Uses a delayed-release formula to ensure all live culture gets to the intestines and bloating and stomach upset tackled.
- Contains 30 CFU, 24 billion Lactobacilli good for vaginal health, and 6 billion bifidobacteria good for colon health.
- This brand required been refrigerated, if you don’t like probiotics that require you to refrigerate, then this might not be for you.
- Contains magnesium stearate.
6. Best Nest Wellness 50 billion Highly Cultured Probiotics.
This is one of the most clinically researched and studied probiotic brand you can think of today. Formulated to contain 50 billion CFU from 15 strains of bacteria, this amazing product is the ideal probiotics for every woman and of course men as well seeking to add some live cultures to their gut system.
Best Nest Wellness is the brain behind this amazing product and is formulated with zero GMO ingredients, a one per day intake of this brand is all you need to feed your health and restore balance to your gut.
This brand is specially formulated and targeted at helping solve issues like constipation, bloating, upset stomach, IBS, gas, oral bad breath, vaginosis, eczema, colitis, allergies, diarrhea, candida, yeast infection, vaginitis, lactose intolerance, mild stomach upset, and many more.
Any woman seeking to have a sound vagina health should consider this brand of probiotic.
- Contains 50 billion CFU from 15 targeted strains of bacteria.
- Zero artificial colors and flavors, sugar, sweeteners, preservatives, gluten, soy, yeast, fish/shellfish, and dairy/lactose.
- Made in the USA in an FDA and GMP approved facility using highest quality standard.
- Used delayed-release formula.
- Nil for now but will update when I find something.
7. Culturelle Women’s Healthy Balance Probiotic for Women.
This is one of the most celebrated brands of woman probiotics in the industry probably due to the company’s long known outstanding culture of formulated purely organic products with Non-GMO ingredients.
I have reviewed few of its other brands of probiotics like the one stated here and feel this very brand is worth being on this list of the best probiotics supplements for women.
Culturelle women’s probiotics contain 15 billion CFU in 5 strains of bacteria and are formulated to meet everyday woman’s specific health needs.
Moreso, because of the massive research involved, the manufacturers assured of its safety even for women who are pregnant.
- Contains 15 billion CFU in 5 targeted strains of bacteria.
- Can be taken by pregnant women as well.
- Designed to meet specific female needs.
- Contains 4 powerful lactobacilli, known to be dominant in a woman’s vagina and that can bring balance to good bacteria and yeast.
- Formulated in a state of the art facility and tested by a third-party lab for quality assurance.
- Non for now.
8.Dr Mathew #1 Probiotics.
Dr. Mathew probiotics have been rated by many experts as one of the best in the field and have been clinically studied and proven to help reduce gut permeability, length of antibiotic treatment, the risk of infection & inflammation in both women and men, as well as kits.
Formulated to contain 15 billion CFU in 15 targeted strains of live cultures, this amazing product is great for solving health issues like IBS, SIBO, gas, and other gastrointestinal disorders.
Dr. Mathew probiotics, like many of her other products including digestive enzymes, is formulated with zero GMOs, lactose-free, gluten-free, Vegetarian and does not required been refrigerated to stay active.
Also, it is delivered in a capsulets form with no chemical coating like other popular brands.
Moreover, the delayed-release formula of the product ensured bacteria gets into the system bit by bit and this help in preventing bloating and stomach upset.
The strains of bacteria used in formulated Dr. Mathew probiotics are clinically studied and proven to be human-friendly, meaning when you take this probiotic, you are actually adding human culture to your system.
- Made in the USA in an FDA approved state of the art facility using GMP quality standard.
- Capulets are coated to resist heat hence no refrigerated required.
- Non-GMO ingredients and Vegan-friendly.
- Zero colorants, preservatives, and other artificial additives.
- Contains 15 billion CFU in 15 targeted strains.
- Tableted technology ensures 15 times more bacteria gets to your gut than the normal capsules.
- Active till expiration date.
- Price is quite competitive.
- Contains milk protein, those that react to milk protein might want to stay off.
- Colored with Turmeric and might not be great for those that react to turmeric.
So, there you have it, the top 8 probiotic supplements for women. Although there are other top brands that could not make the cut because of not having convincing information as of the time of writing this article but be rest assured as soon as we have enough information, we will update the article to include them.
As always, talk to your healthcare professional before taking any dietary supplements.
What do you think, have used any product on this list before? Let’s have your reactions through the comments section below.