Protein powders are increasingly becoming more and more popular as more people are realizing its nutritional value. Although they come in different forms the three most popular brands are Soy, whey and casein, whey been the most commonly used in the world.
What makes whey protein most used? According to Peter Horvath, PhD, Associate Professor, Department of exercise and nutrition sciences, state university of New York, Buffalo, USA, ‘Whey is commonly used because its water-soluble milk protein and because its a complete protein, its got all the nine essential amino acids needed by the body for its dietary need.
According to Carole Conn, Ph.D., associate professor of nutrition at the University of New Mexico, protein powders can be very useful as they serve as a more convenient and easy way to get quality protein, although the same protein can be obtained through eating lean source like meat, fish, and dairy products.
The Importance of Protein In The Body.
So, what is the importance of protein in the body and why would you want to take protein powder? This is pretty simple.
Protein is so important to the body that it is involved in so many vital body functions such as enzymes creation, building, and repairing of tissues, nail building, hair formations, etc.
Protein is essentially a building block without which vital body functions and organs cannot function. Protein is actually the most important and most abundant compound found in the body apart from water.
Among the many benefits of protein in the body are listed as:
- Chief Tissue builder, meaning protein is responding to the building as well as repair of damaged body tissues. It is near impossible to keep life going without protein as it is vital for important chemical reactions in the body.
- Protein is Involved in the process of cell signaling and signal transduction.
- Essential for blood clotting
- Enhances energy and fights fatigue and body weakness, just like carbohydrate
- Helps in the formation as well as maintenance of healthy muscles, nail, hair, and skin.
- Protein is the Major component that made up hormones, enzymes, and antibodies.
- Great for people who want to build lean muscles as well as sports people.
Dangers of Protein deficiency.
Protein deficiency is rampant among people who do not have adequate nutrition especially among people in developing or under-developed countries, although it does also occur in developed countries especially among people with certain conditions like drug addicts and alcoholism, infants in extremely poor countries who do not have sufficient nourishment, Those with serious health challenges like AIDS and TB.
Others are those who deliberately cut off their protein intake for the purpose of body reshape or for whatever other purposes, usually they would run shot of protein because the body doesn’t produce protein and must be ingested externally from our diet and when those group of people for whatever reason deliberately stay off proteinous diet, they would suffer deficiency sooner.
When protein deficiency occurs, the following symptoms among many others can appear.
- Chronic fatigue.
- Loss of strength and muscles especially among the aged.
- Uncontrollable weight loss without trying(Unintentional weight loss).
- Poor appetite.
- Malnutrition paving way for kwashiorkor in children, due to poor nutrients absorption.
Top rated Protein Powder for women.
To tackle the problem of protein deficiency or maybe other reasons like building lean muscles or just for the sake or love taking protein powder, many people including women resort to taking protein powder, at all it has been confirmed to be the most convenient and easy way to supplement protein in the body.
The problem most people wanting to take whole protein supplements face is choosing the right one as they are countless low-quality products on the market.
We here have gone through dozens of products and have selected few 5 for our audience and we believe it will help someone make an easy buying decision.
1. Natural Force® Organic Whey Protein Powder *RANKED #1 BEST TASTING* Grass Fed Whey.
Natural Force Organic Whey Protein Powder just as its name suggest is reputed to be the consumers #1 choice whey protein today due to its many attractive contents.
It is one of the few truly certified organic whey protein with USDA organic logo signifying approval from USDA and is made from 100% grass-fed whey farmed and Processed from the USA and is gluten free and Non-GMO.
- Made in the USA.
- Certified Organic with USDA logo.
- Gluten free, no artificial additives and other proprietary blends.
- N0n-GMO and Vegan-friendly.
- Superior brand loved by many.
- The price might be too high for some people.
- The product comes in different shades, Organic Vanilla Flavor, and Organic Whole Leaf Stevia Powder and so each batch of the product tastes different from the previous one, some don’t taste cool.
2. NAKED WHEY 5LB #1 Undenatured 100% Grass Fed Whey Protein Powder.
It is difficult to mention 5 whey protein powder with good customer rating without mentioning NAKED WHEY protein.
Although this is a highly priced protein powder, it is completely worth every price tag as it contains everything good a protein powder should and more so, its sourced from a dairy farm in the USA and is 100% Grass Fed Pure Whey Protein with zero additives and is great as a pre-workout drink.
One of the distinguishing features of NAKED WHEY is that Naked Whey is cold processed, and that ensure there is less or no contaminants, giving you a pure, all-natural protein drink free from artificial sweeteners, flavors, or colors and is GMO-Free, Growth Hormone Free, Soy Free, and Gluten-Free, now that’s class.
- Made in the USA in an FDA approved facility, under GMP standards.
- All ingredients are organic and farmed-sources in the USA.
- GMO-Free, Soy Free, and Gluten Free.
- Free from Artificial Sweeteners, Flavors, or Colors.
- NAKED WHEY is Cold Processed and free from known impurities.
- Comes in different varieties, Chocolate, Vanilla, Unflavored and Strawberry.
- NAKED WHEY is highly pricey and that can be a major turn off for people on a low budget.
3. Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey Protein Powder, Extreme Milk Chocolate, 5 Pound.
- Made in the USA.
- Contains 100% grass-fed farm whey from the USA.
- Easily absorbed.
- Can actually be used in place of pre-workout supplements.
While I must admit, I am in love with this product, however, a few things about this product I don’t like and I thinks, so. to
- Very high for some people.
- Contains soy lecithin and can easily trigger an allergic reaction.
4. Muscle Milk Genuine Protein Powder, Vanilla Crème, 32g Protein, 4.94 Pound.
- Formulated in the USA in a GMP mandated FDA facility.
- Free from all ban substances and thus great for professional athletes.
- Contains all the 9 essential amino acids the body need to function at optimal level.
- Quality guaranteed!
- Few people complained of awful taste.
5.Performance Whey Protein Powder Concentrate – PROMIX Standard 100 Percent All Natural Grass Fed & Undenatured.
Promix Whey protein powder is a 100% grass-fed whey from a Family owned farm from California and unlike other popular brands, Promix Whey is Cold-processed,micro-filtrated to give an undenatured whey rich in natural co-factors; CLA’s, L-Carnitine, Glutathione, and Lactoferrin.
What more, this premium, unflavored, unsweetened whey protein powder contains 25g Protein, 1g Sugar & 5.9g BCAAs (branched-chain amino acids) per serving making it one of the best and most sought-after protein powder for lean muscles and overall fitness for women and menfolk alike.
Moreover, Promix whey protein is a Whey concentrate and gives your body all the benefits of a top protein unlike those that come in other forms like Isolate which is known to have lots of deficiencies like poor absorption, poor assimilation and overexposure to chemical acids during processing.
- Formulated in the USA.
- Whey is 100% grass-fed with Northern California source farms.
- Contains 0.75% sunflower lecithin for an added nutritional benefit and for easy absorption.
- All ingredients are natural, Corn-free, soy free, gluten free, non-GMO, hormone free and no chemical bleaching or additives.
- Tested for the purity of ingredients and potency claim.
- Highly pricey especial for those on a low budget.
- Few people complain of poor taste.