Everybody needs calcium supplements, men, women, young, old, everyone. The major problem in taking Calcium supplements is in getting the right one that will match our nutritional needs.
Getting to the market shelf, you will see dozens of calcium supplements on display all claiming to be the best, and unfortunately, you may not be able to tell especially when such products are professionally packaged by packaging experts.
Calcium, What is it And Its Importance To The Human Body.
Calcium plays a very crucial role in maintaining the normal physiological function of the body. It is regarded by many scientists as the most abundant mineral in the body and is readily found in some food source, and can also be found as dietary supplements. It is also available in some medicines such as antacids.
Calcium is needed for certain metabolic functions such as:
- Vascular contraction and vasodilation.
- Nerve transmission.
- Muscles growth and functions.
- Hormonal secretion and intercellular signaling.
All these functions require just 1% of the total calcium contained in the body, the remaining 99% is stored in the bone and teeth where it enhanced their structures and support their daily functions.
Natural sources Of Calcium
Calcium can be found naturally in a variety of sources like foods, beverages, and is also added to many others(Calcium-fortified foods). The human body can not produce calcium, so it must be gotten from the food we consume.
Some natural source of calcium is listed below.
- Black-eye Peas.
- sesame seeds.
- kefir or Yogurt.
- Raw milk.
- Soy milk.
Beyond this natural sources of calcium, Foods fortified with calcium can also be good sources of calcium.
Although calcium is readily available in many foods and beverages including foods fortified with calcium, deficiency is common and has become a global health epidemic.
Many people in both developed and developing nations are not getting enough calcium, and calcium being the most abundant mineral in the body, is needed for a number of bodily functions.
A Survey conducted by the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey reported that most Adult American are not getting enough calcium especially women age 51 and above. At this age, women ought to be taking 1,200mg of calcium daily but unfortunately, from the diet, most take, they can only manage to get 674mg a day.
Deficiency of calcium could spell a serious health doom.
Deficiency of calcium can be caused by a number of factors including:
- Certain prescribed medications such as corticosteroids.
- The natural aging process, e.g, children, and infants absorbed more calcium than an adult. Low calcium absorption can cause calcium deficiency.
- Hormonal changes, e.g, menopausal women loss more bone density and calcium because of a decline in hormonal estrogen.
Many Scientists, based on some preliminary result of studies conducted agreed that calcium supplements can play a vital role in boosting the body’s calcium supply, and enhancing its functions, as well as eliminating the symptoms and dangers posed by calcium deficiency.
The following people can consider taking calcium supplements.
- An adult who is unable to meet the daily allowance of calcium from their diets.
- Adults and children with calcium deficiency.
- Those who consume a large portion of protein and sodium causing their body to excrete way too much calcium than necessary.
- Those with Osteoporosis.
- Postmenopausal women.
- Those with insufficient intake of calcium, etc.
Top 5 calcium supplements For Women.
A good calcium supplement is made from different kinds of compounds, with each containing varying amount of elemental calcium. Calcium supplements may comprise of any of the following elements:
- Calcium carbonate -40 percent elemental calcium.
- Calcium citrate – 21 percent elemental calcium.
- Calcium gluconate – 9 percent elemental calcium.
- Calcium lactate – 13 percent elemental calcium.
Out of these, only two are commonly used in supplements, they are Calcium Carbonate and Calcium Citrate.
Most calcium supplements are made with Carbonate because is cheaper and absorb more easily, most regard it as the best.
In selecting our top 5 list, we looked at some factors including:
- Amount of elemental calcium involved.
- Cost and quality.
- Absorbability and Supplement form.
1. Garden of Life Raw Calcium Supplement – Vitamin Code Whole Food Calcium Vitamin for Bone Health, Vegetarian, 120 Capsules.
This is an Ideal calcium supplement for every woman who desires to take supplemental calcium to cushion the effect of calcium deficiency.
This 120 capsules vegetarian Garden Of Life raw calcium supplements come armed with 1600 IU raw D3 which will aids absorption by at least 80%, 100mcg Vitamin K to aid easy absorption, Probiotics and enzymes for enhanced digestive health.
- 100% Certify organic.
- Contain 120 veggie capsules.
- Contains Vitamins C, D3, K, Magnesium for easy absorption and other health benefits.
- Gluten free, dairy free.
- Non-GMO and Vegan-friendly.
- Very well-researched and formulated evident from the many positive customer feedback.
- Might be pricey for some people.
- Capsules might be too large for some people.
2.New Chapter Calcium Supplement with Vitamin K2 + D3 – Bone Strength.
One major challenge lots of people faced with calcium supplement is the inability of the body to completely absorbed the supplement thus rendering the whole effect of supplementation of no good.
New Chapter Non-GMO Calcium supplement is formulated to tackle the problem of absorption as it comes with magnesium and VitaminnD3 for easy absorption and Vitamin K to help direct the mineral where it is needed most, the bone.
As completely plant-based and Non-GMO, this product is one of the best whole-food calcium formulated to fight Osteoporosis and other symptoms of calcium deficiency in women and men.
- All ingredients are plant-based and 100% Certified organic.
- Gives you 3 benefits in 1 product, Bone strength, joint support and heart health support.
- Gluten free, dairy free, and free from synthetic additives.
- Non-GMO and Vegan-friendly.
- Small and easy-to-swallow Tablets.
- Delayed Release formulation ensuring users don’t have to bloat and stomach upset.
- All ingredients clinically studied.
- Non for now but will update as soon as I find one.
3. Nature’s Bounty Absorbable Calcium 1200mg Plus 1000IU Vitamin D3.
For those looking for a highly absorbable calcium supplement that is highly affordable yet offers premium satisfactory benefits, Nature’s Bounty Absorbable calcium is an ideal product that will not give you all the benefits of top-notch calcium supplements, its formulated to give your bones and joints the required health support.
Nature’s Bounty calcium supplements are enhanced with Vitamin D3 to aid with absorption and for immune support. More so, the capsules are in softgel which makes it easier to swallow especially for those that do have difficulties swallowing hard tablets.
- Highly affordable at $15.97.
- Enhanced with Vitamin D3 for easy absorption and promote immunity.
- Capsules are in softgel for rapid release.
- Those with allergy concern would have to be cautious using this product as it contains soy product and other ingredients that might trigger an allergic reaction.
4. NOW Calcium Citrate,250 Tablets
For those looking for a good calcium citrate supplement to take, Now foods calcium citrate is here. A top-notch product with no allergens like other products yet offers a good price which in my opinion is fair compared to other similar products on the market.
I have written a couple of reviews on products offered by now foods like NOW probiotics among others, and One thing you can be sure of is, their products are premium.
Now Calcium citrate contains magnesium and zinc in proper proportion to aid easy absorption and support heart and immunity.
- All ingredients are organic.
- Contains magnesium and zinc for easy absorption and other health benefits.
- Price is affordable.
- Gluten free, no synthetic additives, preservatives or artificial fillers.
- Non-GMO and Vegan-friendly.
- Pills are large and some people might be put off.
5.Pure Encapsulations – Calcium (Citrate) – Hypoallergenic, Highly-Absorbable Calcium Supplement-180 Capsules.
Every one who desires an affordable calcium citrate should get on board with pure encapsulations calcium citrate supplement.
There are not many products out of the thousands on the market that can give you what this product gives- completely veggie and affordable premium calcium citrate from the USA.
Pure Encapsulations is one of a few other companies with great reputation when it comes to natural products formulation. I have reviewed a few of their products including magnesium supplements and I found they have one of the most potent and clinically studied products out there.
Pure Encapsulations Calcium citrate supplement, apart from supporting your bone health and alleviating other symptoms associated with calcium deficiency, will also support your heart health as well as boost the body’s immune system.
- All natural ingredients.
- Easily absorbable.
- Certified gluten free and allergen free.
- Zero synthetic additives and preservatives, zero sweetener and other unnecessary excipients.
- Capsules are completely vegetarian.
- Non-GMO and dairy free.
- Highly affordable.
- Non for now but will update as soon as I find something negative.
For a larger part of it, calcium supplements are safe especially if taken according to the recommendations or as prescribed by the Doctor.
Too much of everything including the good things will have negative effects, so it is advisable you don’t abuse calcium by taking an overdose to avoid calcium toxicity.